Nerang State School is in its 147th year of operation. The Nerang district was settled in 1863 and became a trading and coach route. Nerang’s first school was opened in 1875 with an enrolment of 47 students and Thomas Johnson as the first teacher. The principal highway up until 1889 was the river hauling timber between Nerang and Brisbane. In 1863 the Manchester Cotton Company was the first major business established in the area. In 1877 the first bridge over the Nerang river was built which enabled residents to cross the river to the post office and stores during the highest floods. For more than 90 years the community remained small, as did the school. In its time the school has grown to 800 students.
Currently our school has enrolments of just under 260. Despite all the changes in the district over the years Nerang State School has survived and continues to prosper. The school motto of “our best always” underpins all programs offered at Nerang State School.
The school day begins with first bell at 8.47 am and ends at 2.55 pm. Nerang State School strongly believes that “every day counts”, encouraging students to strive for an attendance record of 95% and higher for the school year. Further details of our school are available in our parent handbook, a copy of which can be found in the forms and documents tab of our website.